Not That Headache Again!

Dr Ramana Rao gives you tips on how to read into those nasty headaches, so you can take the appropriate steps to avoid them in the future.

The word headache has been used in English language as a synonym for something of botheration or nuisance, and it defiantly fits the description too. The pain experienced doesn’t have to involve just the forehead; the pain can also involve the face, scalp and neck. Headaches can be described as dull, steady aches to blinding, throbbing pains. The good news is that, with a bit of knowledge, you can prevent these headaches a majority of the time

What are the different types of headaches?

-Migraine: This type of headache is episodic. It usually affects one side of the head, can involve the scalp and is associated with nausea, vomiting or blurring of vision.

– Tension headache: The pain is band-like; usually over the fore head.

– Chronic daily headache.

– Headaches due to eye problems and eyestrain.

– Sinus headaches involve one side of the head- the inflamed sinus is painful to touch.

– Cluster headaches are short intense episodes that can strike through the day.

How to prevent headaches

Most headaches have a trigger- the first step is to avoid these triggers at all costs.

– Stress is the No 1 cause for most headaches. If you are working on something for long durations, break your workday into parts. Take time off to de-stress, exercise, take in fresh air, go on small walks, or do something to break the monotony.

– Migraine attacks can start with something as simple as smelling someone’s perfume, or eating chocolate or cheese. Hunger, disturbed sleep, exposure to bright light and loud noise are all known to cause an attack. Identifying your trigger is pivotal in migraine prevention.

– If you have a long history of headaches, it is best advised to keep a headache journal. Note the time duration of each episode and jot down the type of pain and events preceding the pain.

Yoga, meditation, breathing exercises and acupressure have all been proven to prevent headaches and help in pain management.

When do you visit your doctor and investigate?

Headaches associated with fever, persisting vomiting, disturbance in vision, and chronic headaches with change in the nature and intensity of pain require to be investigated.

99 percent of all headaches are harmless even without treatment, but the other 1 percent can be a 100 percent harmful if not treated early.

Share this post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

scroll to top